On Monday 02 January 2006 11:53, a tiny voice compelled Rumen Yotov to write:

> Hi,
> Not very much help, but it seems you're using a postfix server to process
> to mail.

Only out of desperation

The server rejects the connections so they time-out.

Why would the server reject connections? What does the authentication? This
seems to be the big question. For some reason, I can't get kmail or thunderbird
to "shake hands" with my ISP's SMTP server. The user name and password are
valid. I can access the webmail interface just fine.

> Do you have some filtering/SPAM/AVIR rules in KMail?

Other than filters to send mail to appropriate folders, no

Is postfix a local
> server-seems so. Check your postfix etc. config. Running 'qmail' here no
> postfix experience. HTH.Rumen

I've got no idea how to set up postfix. If I'm going to use it, I'll need a
howto or some pointers. I only installed postfix to try to get kmail working.
In order to run kmail or thunderbird, what MTA should I be using? I obviously
blew off something when I did a depclean and I'm lost at this point as to what
I need to get email sending working again.I have a mepis CD here. I'm thinking
I should boot to that and see what I can figure out. does anyone have
suggestions as to what I should be looking for?

I've looked at qmail, it seems postfix blocks it. I suppose I won't be any worse
off without postfix. I'll read up on qmail and see if it will serve my purpose
for the short term, but I REALLY want to get kmail working. I'm becomming
obsessed, perturbed and frustrated.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free