On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:35:09 -0500
"Michael W. Holdeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do I need xcompmgr? I have a running ~x86 up to date system using
> kde-3.5.0. I setup transparency using teh howto on teh wiki, and it
> is really beautifull.. BUTT, totally unusable as it is soo slow and
> crashes all the time. It crashes x. My system is Dell 8600, with an
> nvidia 5200Go card. All drivers are up to date including teh
> nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx.

For real transparency, yes, you need it. If you have enabled GLX and
Composite at once, and run a GLX program, then X will crash. This is
likely the cause of your problems. The difficulty is, for the moment,
you have to sacrifice either GLX if you want to use Composite reliably.

--
Tom Martin, http://dev.gentoo.org/~slarti
AMD64, net-mail, shell-tools, vim, recruiters