On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:18:39AM -0800, Penguin Lover Mark Knecht squawked:
> Hi,
>    I'm in Gnome and received what appear to be some JPG files from a
> friend. When I try to open them I get the following message:
>

> The filename "DSCN2448.JPG" indicates that this file is of type "JPEG
> image". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type
> "Macintosh BinHex-encoded file". If you open this file, the file might
> present a security risk to your system.
>
> Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received
> the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to
> the correct extension for "Macintosh BinHex-encoded file", then open
> the file normally. Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a
> specific application for the file.

I think that is just the standard error Gnome throws up with the
extension on the file does not match the header.

Does your friend perhaps use a Mac? the BinHex format is a conversion
from binary data to ASCII for mail. It's like uuencode, but for Macs.

Try:
  emerge macutil

You probably want to run hexbin on the file you received, but I am not
absolutely sure.

HTH

"As he came into the light they could see his black and
gold uniform on which the buttons were so highly polished
that they shone with an intensity that would have made an
approaching motorist flash his lights in annoyance. "
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 54 days,  9:51