Rumen Yotov schreef:
> On (06/01/06 23:51), Lares Moreau wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 20:01 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>> Yes.  Here was the output:
>>>
>>> camille ~ # update-eix Reading Portage settings .. Building
>>> database (/var/cache/eix) from scratch .. [0] /usr/portage/
>>> (cache: cdb) Reading 100% [1] /usr/local/portage (cache: none)
>>> Reading 100% Applying masks .. Database contains 0 packages in
>>> 145 categories.
>>
>> NOTE 0 packages.. Permissions issue?
>>
>> -- Lares Moreau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | LRU: 400755
>> http://counter.li.org lares/irc.freenode.net                 |
>> Gentoo x86 Arch Tester                 |               ::0 Alberta,
>> Canada Public Key: 0D46BB6E @ subkeys.pgp.net |          Encrypted
>> Mail Preferred Key fingerprint = 0CA3 E40D F897 7709 3628  C5D4
>> 7D94 483E 0D46 BB6E
>
> Hi, Think the issue was solver, after a mail from Holly, no? Must
> remove/backup "/etc/eixrc" or comment the line enabling 'cdb' module.
>  Currently it's using a 'cdb' as cache storage. But portage is *not*
> using 'cdb'. HTH.Rumen

Oh, wait-- I was going to say that I didn't say that (I didn't really
say anything, I thought), but in fact it turns out I did, in a
roundabout way (and you helped me, Lares, by clarifying it so that I
could solve my own eix problem).

When you wrote your mail, I had eix working, but I had noticed earlier
yesterday (before your mail and my reply) that all packages available
were not being displayed-- most notably gentoo-sources packages, where I
knew 2.6.14-r7 and 2.6.15 to be available, but they would not come up
under an eix search, no matter what I did. I also noticed that
update-eix was saying that it was using cdb, which I thought was weird
because I thought I had disabled it.

In fact, I had commented out the lines in /etc/portage/modules, but due
to your mail, I realized that that only affected Portage, and that eix
had its own setting to use cdb (in /etc/eixrc and ~/.eixrc). Once I
deleted those, eix stopped using cdb to cache its entries, and the all
current packages were shown.

So I was right, in that the problem was cdb (I suppose that since I had
a database before I started using cdb, it just wasn't getting further
updated, but since you didn't have a database at all, it just wasn't
getting populated), but you were the one who actually figured out how to
disable it.

Credit where credit is due-- thanks!!

Holly