Mariusz Pękala schreef:
> On 2006-01-07 15:53:39 +0100 (Sat, Jan), Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Here's the kind of output I get from etc-update, for example:
>
> [...]
>
>> ESC[1;34m+RC_VERBOSE="no"ESC[0;0m
>
> [...]
>
>> Clearly it's working, but.... not. This is in gnome-terminal, but
>> the term in use doesn't seem to make any difference, and this is
>> worse than nothing at all in terms of readablility (made even worse
>> since using colordiff is intended to /enhance/ readability).
>>
>> Colordiff is set in /etc/etc-update.conf as recommended in the
>> Wiki-- diff_command="colordiff -uN %file1 %file2",  which seems to
>> be right insofar as colordiff is working; it seems to me that the
>> problem is that the term is not recognizing/escaping the color
>> codes as color codes, and I don't know where to begin to find out
>> why.  I'm using the most recent colordiff available
>
> [...]
>
>> Does anybody have a clue what that might be?
>

> What do you see in your terminal if you type this: ? printf
> '\033[1;34m+RC_VERBOSE="no"\033[0;0m'
>
> If this is ok, then you know that your terminal is ok, and there is
> something with colordiff...

za 01/07/06 18:49
Saffron: "He's my husband."

Mal: "Well who in the damn galaxy isn't?"
~
motub -> printf '\033[1;34m+RC_VERBOSE="no"\033[0;0m'
+RC_VERBOSE="no" <==this is blue

And in fact, normally my terminals do display color correctly; in my
prompt above, the date is pink, the fortune is white, the cwd is green,
and the actual prompt is [EMAIL PROTECTED], then yellow again.

> Do you have any alias or function around colordiff?

No. I don't actually use colordiff standalone, so no reason. I did,
however, have an (unnecessary) alias around etc-update, which I have now
removed, allowing it to rely solely on its sudo entry. But since I don't
have any updates to diff until I get my other little problem fixed,

But... sudo uses a sub-shell, as I have heard many times. Is it possible
that colordiff just doesn't work *in sudo*?

I admit, I never thought of that. This is why sudo gets on my nerves,
convenient as it is; that stupid subshell seems to lack all kinds of
basic (bash) shell functionality that I expect.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas, I suspect that you've pointed me in the
right direction. I'm sure I should be able to generate some updates
shortly; I won't do all of them so that I can test various
configurations and see if any of them work.

Holly