Holly Bostick schreef:
> Abhay Kedia schreef:
>
>>afaik etc-update does not reinitialize anything. All it looks for are
>>files that have been named in a specific way. It diffs the original
>>file with its update and then asks you whether to overwrite or not.
>>You can delete the ._cfg files or let them be. They will not cause
>>you any problems.
>>

> OK, thanks-- I will add as a final note that I also needed to run
>
> cfg-update -i
>
> to get cfg-update to recalculate its checksum index, after which it also
> stopped complaining.
>
> So I'll consider this solved (even though I didn't delete the ._cfg
> files, but then how often do I look in /usr/lib/X11/symbols?) and stop
> worrying about it.

Final final note-- I just did an emerge, and suddenly etc-update had
something it wanted to update... the 30 files. cfg-update still didn't
know anything about them, so I just did a -5 (yes, I know, I *never* do
that, this is really the very first time I have) and *finally* replaced
them (most likely with themselves since I upgraded then downgraded to
the same version of Xorg I had originally upgraded from).

/Now/ this issue is finally done. What a relief!

Holly