Marc Schlienger schreef:
> Am Sonntag, 8. Januar 2006 13:53 schrieb Holly Bostick:
>
>> Marc Schlienger schreef:
>>
>>> Hi, I've installed kde3.4.3 with arts on my amd64 machine. Alsa
>>> is working fine. But arts works only partially. All notification
>>>  sound doesn't work. Also I don't get sound when logging in. But,
>>>  for example, amarok works with the arts driver. Is this a known
>>>  bug? What can I do?
>>>
>>> Regards Marc
>>
>> Is aRTs set to use ALSA?
>
> Yes. It should also work with automatic detection. But it doesn't
> work in either cases.
>

>> Secondly, you do have system sounds turned on, yes?
>
> This is also set. And when I push the Test-Sound-Button here I get no
>  sound.
>

>> Sound and Multimedia=> System Notifications.
>
> This is also all set to correct values.
>
> If it was that simple there will be no problem.

Well, how were we to know that? We don't know you, we don't know if you
know how to set up KDE properly, and you didn't tell us that you had
already done so. A user new to KDE would not necessarily find that all
so 'simple' as you do.

So. Your settings are correct, and even though you don't have

[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true

... it's "not the root of the problem".

Why not? Because fixing it didn't make a difference? And if that isn't
the root of the problem, it sounds like you have an idea what perhaps is?

Shall we guess randomly? OK... have you checked KMix to make certain
that it's unmuted and not taking over the mixer settings from ALSA?

Do you have any other unusual conditions/setup relating to sound on your
system? Multiple sound cards, recording setup?

Do you use any unusual compiler flags that might have caused arts to
*seem* to compile all right, but in fact break?

How have you installed KDE? Split ebuilds? Monolithic build? If split
ebuilds, what parts of KDE did you compile, and did you compile them all
with arts support?

Any further information would be helpful.

Holly