Statux schreef:
> Unmerge the BOINC from portage and download/manually install it from
> the site. The version in portage is very old and for some reason, it
> hasn't been updated.

I've been wondering about this issue myself-- my bf runs BOINC (and in
fact is a tester thereof) under Windows, and he's asked me to run it as
well (for that "Linux perspective"). I have no objection, but I was
somewhat concerned by that old version in Portage.

I haven't had time to try to figure out what to do about it (submit a
bug, I suppose), but it's kinda left me hanging. I know I can perfectly
well install the current version from the site, but I really don't want
this program to be unmanaged by Portage (I don't so much like having
"loose" apps; it's a "thing"), and I know better (since I live with a
tester) than to install the version in Portage, because I have a sense
of just how old it is and how very unlikely it is to work; there have
been a lot of changes under the hood to BOINC lately. Which is why I
find the situation so odd-- how is it that the maintainer has missed the
very active development that's been going on?-- and I tend to be a bit
more hesitant to mix into noticeably odd situations.

Holly