<snip
> Have you tried a revdep-rebuild -p -v to see if there is a dependency
> issue that would be causing the evolution crash? Also, have you tried
> a re-emerge of evolution and evolution-data-server? Another option
> would be to emerge the ~x86 evolution (2.4.2.1) - it has been quite a
> bit more stable for me than previous versions of evolution.
</snip>

I'm trying to emerge that version of evolution, but it won't let me.
Observe:

camille evolution # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords | grep 'evolution'
mail-client/evolution-2.4.2.1 ~x86
camille evolution # emerge -p =evolution-2.4.2.1
--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords:
mail-client/evolution-2.4.2.1
--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.unmask:
mail-client/evolution-2.4.2.1

Calculating dependencies
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=evolution-2.4.2.1" have been
masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- mail-client/evolution-2.4.2.1 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page
or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

What's the deal here?