Hrmm.  I followed that wiki when I set it up originally (back when you
had to find kernel patches).  It never used to drop my connections,
but seems to do so now.  Definately have the use variables set up
properly.

I'm ecstatic with the performance of the BC 3150, though, it was a bit
of a pain at first under the new kernel (it freezes (ndiswrapper that
is, during modprobe) if you have kernel module unloading enabled...
wierd).

I've thought about updating the wiki a bit.  IIRC, it still reflects
needing to track down kernel patches.

Thanks for the help though.

Justin

On 1/10/06, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Justin Hart <justinhart <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.6.15, enabling MPPE so I could
> > connect to my campus network's VPN.
>
> > I'm using pptpconfig to set up the connection.  It's plain-vanilla,
> > name of the server and such with the require_mppe box checked.
>
> > I'm connecting via 802.11g, using ndiswrapper to by Broadcom 3150
> > wireless adapter.
>
> > If I have this configuration, as it is now, on my campus network, the
> > connection drops after a few minutes.  It also drops my wi-fi
> > connection.  I kill dhcpcd and restart it to re-acquire an IP, and
> > life is good again.  The wi-fi connection is stable unless I do this.
>

> from:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Set_up_a_vpn_client_with_mppe_encryption
>
> It contains this line:
> You will have to install or recompile ppp with the mppe-mppc USE flag.
>

> The aforementioned wiki also has other suggestions that might be relevant
> to your setup,, particularly in the attached scripts. If not, consider
> posting a new wiki, as I have been
> 'tagged' to setup a gentoo laptop for a friend with secure wireless access
> on a university campus......
>
> Are you happy with the performance of your BC 3150 card?
> Any other  pc-card hardware recommnedations as it'd be nice to get one card
> that works well with Gentoo and winDoz on a dual-boot laptop?
>
> Lots of interlopers and curious talent on those university grounds....
>
> hth,
> James
>
> --

Justin W. Hart