On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 03:39:46PM -0600, Penguin Lover [EMAIL PROTECTED]
squawked:

> I keep getting hard drive errors in my kernel log/dmesg that have me
> worried.  From /var/log/kernel/current:
>
> Jan 13 11:42:31 [kernel] hda: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> DataRequest Error }
>                 - Last output repeated 7 times -
> Jan 13 11:42:39 [kernel] hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
> LBAsect=206696214, high=12, low=5369622, sector=206695927
> Jan 13 11:42:39 [kernel] ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> Jan 13 11:42:40 [kernel] hda: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> DataRequest Error }

Do you run SMARTD? If you do, did it complain?
(grep SMART /var/log/everything/*)

Usually UncorrectablError means that some spots on your harddrive is
not readable. And if it keeps complaining, it might be a sign that
something is wrong with your drive. (Of course, it could also be flaky
connectors.)

Maybe you can take a look at
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/troubleshooting/index.htm

A lot of times you get one or two bad sectors due to environmental
issues: power blip for one, and my roommate slamming the door too hard
on his way out for another. If that is the case, most harddrive
vendors provide a diagnostic tool that allows you to map that couple
sectors to one of the backup ones on the disk. (Yes, they have a few
extra on the harddrive just for that purpose).

> The drive is a 160 GB PATA Samsung.  It's about two or three years
> old, running 24x7 (although lightly).  The drive has three
> partitions, all are ext3.

<snip>

> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)
> LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       00%     11486
> 262886799
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     11483         -

Statistics are like a Bikini:
  showing interesting details but hiding the important stuff.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 62 days, 14:29