On 1/13/06, Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually, mmx doesn't really mean anything:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMX
>
> mplayer and the X server gain performance by using these extensions
> (mmx, sse, sse2). One of the reasons why X is much faster in Gentoo
> than in Debian. (Personal Experience, please, no flames)

Yes, MMX is quite an improvement if actually used in code.  I once had
to squeeze microseconds out of some windows code that I was writing,
in order to speed up RS232 communication, and it made a HUGE
difference.  The code was originally taking a few ms, but I got it
down to a few hundred microseconds by using MMX.  MMX can operate on
64bit integers, where standard IA32 instructions can only operate on
32bit integers.