Trenton Adams schreef:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just curious about something.  I installed mozilla-firefox-bin,
> and I got what I *thought* was the gnome open/save dialog.  And I
> absolutely I can't stand that thing.  So, I decided to compile
> mozilla-firefox for myself, as I have "-gnome" in my use flags.  Well
>  for some reason, I still have that open/save dialog.
>
> So, is that a gnome open/save dialog, or is it something else?

Yes, as far as I know, it is (though I myself do have GNOME installed).

Firefox depends on gtk:
(from www.gentoo-portage.com ; the compile-it-yourself version used for
clarity, since even the bin has to be originally compiled by someone):

Runtime Dependencies
mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9

|    app-arch/unzip
|    app-arch/zip
|    dev-libs/expat
|    >= dev-libs/glib - 2.8.2
|    >= dev-libs/libIDL - 0.8.0
|    >= media-libs/jpeg - 6b
|    >= media-libs/libmng - 1.0.0
|    >= media-libs/libpng - 1.2.1
|    >= sys-libs/zlib - 1.1.4
|    >= www-client/mozilla-launcher - 1.42
|    >= www-client/mozilla-launcher - 1.39
|    ! x11-base/xorg-x11 - 6.7.0-r2
|    >= x11-libs/cairo - 1.0.0
==>    >= x11-libs/gtk+ - 2.8.6
|    x11-libs/libXmu
|    x11-libs/libXmu
|    x11-libs/libXrender
|    x11-libs/libXrender
|    x11-libs/libXt
|    x11-libs/libXt
|   >= x11-libs/pango - 1.10.1
|    gnome >= gnome-base/gnome-vfs - 2.3.5
|    virtual/x11
|    virtual/x11
|    java virtual/jre

Firefox is a GTK application, so it uses the GTK toolkit (as opposed to
the QT toolkit, which KDE uses).

GNOME is a GTK-based DE (as opposed to KDE which is QT-based).

So the reason why the open/save dialogs are the same is because they use
the same resources (GTK settings, many of which can be set in GNOME).

I can't say if the "extra features" that I have because I have GNOME
installed are present in your open/save dialog (bookmarked folders, for
example).

> Is there going to be a way of NOT making it the standard open/save
> dialog when firefox 1.5 gets unmasked?

Masking or unmasking is not going to change the source code, which
depends on GTK. Only upstream can recode the program with a different
toolkit. And that seems unlikely to happen, since it hasn't happened yet
(and if the toolset was going to change, it probably would have before
1.0, not suddenly now when the release is finally stable enough to be
picking up steam fast in the popularity stakes).

Holly