On Friday 13 January 2006 19:09, Holly Bostick wrote:

> Looking at the trace, I just picked a random "file not found" to see
> what that file was on my system:
>
> equery belongs /usr/lib/mozilla/libXp.so.6
> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/mozilla/libXp.so.6 in *... ]
>

> So I don't have it (ok, admittedly I don't have Mozilla either, but I do
> have Firefox, so....)
>
> za 01/14/06 01:55
> motub -> locate libXp.so.6
> /usr/lib/libXp.so.6
> /usr/lib/libXp.so.6.2
>
> za 01/14/06 01:55
> motub ->  equery belongs /usr/lib/libXp.so.6
> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib/libXp.so.6 in *... ]
> x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 (/usr/lib/libXp.so.6 -> libXp.so.6.2)
>
> Hmmmm.... perhaps an X problem? Looking at the other files that are not
> being found, they sure look a lot like X files as well (no pun intended):
>
> libXinerama.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> libXp.so.6", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> libXxf86vm.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> libXxf86dga.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> libXxf86misc.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> and so on. I mean, honestly, look at the path below:
>
> [pid  6829] open("/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libXxf86misc.so.1", O_RDONLY)
> = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> I cannot imagine that there is any valid configuration that puts
> libXxf86 anything in /usr/lib/mozilla/*plugins*, of all places.
>
> I don't want to speculate on how this might have happened, but if I was
> you, I would
>
> 1) unmerge Mozilla completely (don't worry, your profile is in your
> ~/folder, so none of your personal settings or mail will be lost);
>
> 2) delete all /usr/lib/Mozilla folders
>
> 3) re-emerge X.org (yes I know, it takes forever, but clearly something
> is very seriously borked if Mozilla thinks that the X libs are in its
> own install folders, since the only one who would likely have told it
> that is X itself)
>
> 4) re-emerge Mozilla.
>
> 5) pray.
>
> HTH,
> Holly

OK.  I did do a emerge -C mozilla once.  I even re-emerged xorg too.  What
about this:

1) emerge -C mozilla
2) delete the heck out of /usr/lib/Mozilla.  :-)  Maybe up arrow and hit
return one more time for good measure.  ;-)
3) emerge xorg one more time, for good measure.
4) emerge mozilla
5) Say prayer that it works, even though it has not worked yet.  ;)

That sound like a reasonable plan you think?  Should I take out the gnome flag
that I put back in my USE line?  I thought that may have broke something
because that was the last thing I changed.

Should I really start looking at that hard drive you think?  Something
happened to those files.  I didn't even know where they were until today.
LOL  I promise, I didn't do it.

Thanks
Dale
:-)