Are you mounting with the "sync" option, or no?  Try it with, and
without.  If you do it without, time what it takes to do the copy, and
unmount.  unmount will do the actual sync.

I've noticed that linux in generall is extremely slow with USB devices
sometimes.  My external USB2 (ATA 100) drive gets 27M/sec on my
machine.  And with a relatively new driver, you should see speeds
about like that.