Hi,

I have a headless embedded Gentoo system. I'm using an optical mouse to detect rotation of a wheel. I don't need to know how fast or in what direction, but I do need to know whether it is turning or not.

As it is headless, I have not bothered to install X. I'm diskless, so I
don't have lots of memory to waste. (I'm running out of a 256M CF card.)

I expect that somewhere in the chain of drivers I can tap into a stream
of bytes coming from the mouse, and that if the mouse stops moving that
stream stops. Or otherwise changes.

Can anyone suggest where I should start looking for how to do this?

Thanks,
Michael