Charles Marcus wrote:
Richard Fish wrote:

On 1/18/06, Charles Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This may be the ultimate dumb question, but no amount of googling could
satisfy my ignorance...

Is there any difference? If not, why are the double hyphens almost
always specified?

-- is the GNU getopt syntax for long options.  For normal GNU programs:

--opt is processed as a single option ("opt")
-opt is processed as 6 options ('o', 'p', and 't').

--sync is correct.  -sync is wrong and generates an error.

Ahem... not for me it didn't... thats why I asked - wondered if I may have hosed anything (can't imagine that such a minor, easy-to-make typo would caus ebad things to happen, though).

Thanks for the detailed explanation, though... now I at least know the differences.

Now, why did it not generate an error for me, I wonder?

Maybe you're thinking of emerge sync:
$ emerge -sync
!!! Error: -y is an invalid short action or option.
dell src # emerge sync
>>> starting rsync with rsync://129.21.154.146/gentoo-portage...

emerge sync does the same thing as emerge --sync, but actually it's a bad habit to get into, because the default behavior for portage is to install its non-flag arguments. The implication is that 'emerge sync' should install a package named 'sync'.

Of course, that doesn't happen. emerge (sync|info|metadata|...) all don't install packages. If you want to install app-vim/info, you have to fully specify its name: emerge app-vim/info.

But you can never tell when such behavior will change. :-)