On 1/21/06, b.n. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I still use ext3 for / and ext2 for /boot.  I get confused about all the
> others.

I have ext2 for /boot and reiserfs for everything else. But reiserfs
fragmentation is going to make me pretty angry...

m.

XFS is the best.  It is supported, it is reasonably fast, it has a defragmenter, it has repair tools that are not only supported, but known to work....  It has ways to optimize for extremely large filesystems, and, though it won't win speed records in some areas, it holds it's own.

I have been using it since 2000.  I even use it for boot, but there is no reason for that.  This year I began running most of my fs's in sync mode, except for highly active data shares.  This has actually had very little impact at all.  When I run upgrades, I remount async, but I have found that sync mode does not cause horrible slowness, and frankly kicks ass.  I even run my desktops in sync mode.

I have used ext2 tons, ext3 enough to dislike it, reiserfs and jfs.  I have tested most all of them on production servers.   Last year we re building a new database server with JFS.  It is a dual opteron, and at length we ran into a few problems where we got no real errors, but JFS would spit out something random and remount the fs readonly.  Memtest, this that the other - none of it worked.  We ended up using XFS.

So, since we are on the topic of flame wars... and there is this random FS post, theres my two cents.

Thanks,
  Joshua