On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 04:48:24AM +0000, b.n. wrote

> Ehm. Perhaps it's me being dense but: who cares about unused code? Ok,
> you have unnecessary, unused code sitting on your HD: where's the
> problem? You never see it.

  A year ago, I was using a 1999 Dell (128 megs RAM, 450 mhz PIII) as my
main machine.  I still have it around as my emergency backup.  KDE
"runs" (would you believe crawls) painfully slowly on that machine.
Using blackbox plus fbpanel, it's perfectly OK for most stuff, except
that it drops frames on "internet TV" and working with 2560x1920 digital
photos in Gimp is "leisurely".  On my AMDK8, in 32-bit mode, it screams.

  Old DOS games run faster under DOSBOX than they did on a 10 mhz AT.  I
have the original floppies for Chessmaster 3000.  It does *NOT* run
under Wine.  At work, they were throwing out some old stuff, including
real Windows 3.1 floppies.  I installed Win3.2 under DOSBOX, and it runs
Chessmaster 3000 just fine!

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca