On Jan 24, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Tom Smith wrote:

Jeff wrote:

Hey guys.

I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the hard drive
to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not sure
what the command would be. Something to the effect of:

# cat /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com 'tar data.info.gz'

So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then archived on
the destination machine.

Help!

:-)

Not possible. What you want is more along the lines of AFS, NFS, SMB, or
the like.

WRONG.  I do it all the time.

If your backup files already exist, you can use SCP or SFTP to copy
those to a different server.