On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 21:19 -0600, John Jolet wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2006, at 9:10 PM, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > There's another way. This assumes your originating server's CPU is
> > slow/precious and you have a 16 way node on a backup server (HAHA!!)
> >
> > tar cf - /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com "gzip -c >
> > filename.tar.gz"
> >
> > But you transfer the stream uncompressed, so more bits get
> > transferred.
> >
> you're kidding, right?

Not really. I've not tried it out yet.. but it's one more option to
throw in the mix.

Laptop - 1.4Ghz P-M
Server - 300Mhz

laptop -> Server
Local Compression
Real    0m53.414s

Remote COmpression (server COmpress)
real    1m53.721s

Server-> Laptop
Local Compression
real    1m10.745s

Remote Comression (Laptop Compress)
real    1m54.132s

>  Unless you've got a PII on the originating
> end and are using gigabit ethernet between the two nodes, compressing
> the data before transmission will almost always be faster.
This is done on a 10MBit/s Lan, so the bottleneck is on the LAN.
Caveat-Emptor :-)

>  In no case was transferring uncompressed data faster
> than compressing (at least to some degree) the data on the
> originating server.  And frankly, no matter what you do...wouldn't
> you hope ALL the bits get transferred? :)

But of course :-) 1 Bad bit and the whole archive gets screwed.