Walter Dnes wrote:
  Let me re-iterate what I'm trying to do...
  - In X, highlight a text string (e.g. a URL) in Firefox
  - hit {CTRL}{ALT}{F1}, taking me to a *REAL TEXT CONSOLE* running mutt
    or slrn, with vim as the editor
  - paste the complex URL directly into a message I'm composing with vim

I don't think that will work - I think there's no communication between X and text consoles. What vim-with-x would allow you to do is paste into a vim session running in an xterm, not one running on the console.

--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,