On 12:09 Fri 27 Jan     , Dan Sheffner wrote:
>    I'm trying to get the http replicator working. I'm not sure what I'm doing
>    wrong.

I assume you were using the howto:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Download_Cache_for_LAN-Http-Replicator

I noticed a couple of minor differences from my settings:

>    Below is what my make.conf looks like on the server
>
>    # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
>    built this stage
>    # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
>    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4"
>    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
>    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>    SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

Don't the "[1]" and "[2]" in the lines below invalidate them as URL's? They
don't work in a browser, maybe wget can use them?

>    GENTOO_MIRRORS="[1]http://gentoo.osuosl.org/";
>    http_proxy="[2]http://10.1.10.37.com:8080";
>    RESUMECOMMAND=" /usr/bin/wget -t 5 --passive-ftp \${URI} -O
>    \${DISTDIR}/\${FILE}"
>
>    Below is what my client make.conf
>
>    # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
>    built this stage
>    # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
>    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3"
>    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
>    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>    USE="mdadm"
>    SYNC="rsync://10.1.10.37/gentoo-portage"

Same URL issue here:

>    http_proxy="[3]http://10.1.10.37.com:8080";
>    RESUMECOMMAND=" /usr/bin/wget -t 5 --passive-ftp \${URI} -O
>    \${DISTDIR}/\${FILE}"
>
>    Here is the proof that the rights are correct
>    localhost ~ # ls -ld /var/cache/http-replicator/
>    drwxrwxrwx 2 portage portage 8192 Jan 25 21:53 /var/cache/http-replicator/

My permissions were a bit different:

drwxr-xr-x  2 portage portage 36568 Jan 25 10:15 /var/cache/http-replicator/

>    I run the command repcacheman and it works fine with the below output
>
>    Found 22746 ebuilds.
>
>    Extracting the checksums....
>    Done!
>
>    SUMMARY:
>    Found 0 duplicate file(s).
>    Deleted 0 dupe(s).
>    Found 19 new file(s).
>    Added 0 of those file(s) to the cache.
>    Rejected 0 corrupt or incomplete file(s).
>    19 Unknown file(s) that are not listed in portage
>    You may want to delete them yourself....
>
>    Done!
>
>    When I go to start the server it says. And this is where I believe it
>    fails.
>    I have also tried repcacheman --user portage --dir
>    /var/cache/http-replicator
>
>    localhost / # /etc/init.d/http-replicator restart
>    * Stopping Http-Replicator ...
>    No http-replicator found running; none killed. [ ok ]
>    * Starting Http-Replicator ...
>    usage: http-replicator [options]
>
>    http-replicator: error: invalid directory '/var/cache/http-replicator' [
>    ok ]

My /etc/conf.d/http-replicator looks identical

>    Below is my /etc/conf.d/http-replicator

Hope these notes help. It works great once in place.

Good luck

Bill Roberts