On Saturday 04 February 2006 19:39, John Jolet wrote:
> Okay, I give up.  I've been struggling with a couple of very, very
> strange permissions problems for months.  I just finished an emerge -
> e system and emerge -e world hoping it would fix it.  first problem:
> trying to use sudo, but it keeps saying "can't open sudoers file,
> permission denied".  even if i'm root doing sudo it tells me that.
> here is permissions on /etc/sudoers: -r--r-----  1 root root 1643
> Feb  3 04:48 /etc/sudoers
> here is sudo itself: ---s--x--x  1 root root 97104 Feb  4 08:53 /usr/
> bin/sudo
>
> I've compared this to other, working gentoo boxes and it all seems
> the same.  In addition, I'm trying to run MailScanner and if I try to
> have it run as postfix, I get a message that it can't open it's
> MailScanner.conf, even though i've made that owned by postfix.  Not
> sure if that's related, but it seems it could be.

Root should be able to read anything.... yes.

If this was my computer, I'd go into single user mode, set the partition read
only and run fsck on it. Use the -N switch on the first pass and see if
everything is alright with the file system.

                     Registered Linux User Number 185956
              FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
Buy an Xbox 360 core  for $299.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $11.00!
  Buy an Xbox 360 for $399.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $126.00!
    9:49pm  up 139 days, 13:14,  4 users,  load average: 2.68, 2.27, 2.14