On the off-chance that perhaps there was an error in the ebuild file, I
did a sync.  However, php will still not build.

Are the NIS USE flag and dev-lang/php mutually-exclusive?

I had no problem building dev-php/php and dev-php/mod_php with the same
USE flags.

If anyone can offer advice on dealing with this issue, I would be
grateful.

Thank you.

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 12:49:15AM +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Michael George wrote:
> > I am trying to update my system, and it seemed like a good time to go
> >  from the old php ports to the dev-lang ports.  But I'm having
> > trouble building php-4.4.1-r3.
> >
> > I have masked php-5 and up, as I'm not quite ready to move to that
> > yet.
> >
> > When I try to emerge php-4.4.1-r3, it stops with this error:
> >
> > QA Notice: USE Flag 'nis' not in IUSE for dev-lang/php-4.4.1-r3
> >
> > I get the same error with php-5.0.5.
> >
> > I don't have nis set as a use flag anywhere in my stuff, though, and
> > I cannot find it set for php in the profiles.
> >
> > I have put "-nis" into package.use for php and I have tried removing
> > nis and setting "-nis" into /etc/make.conf, but nothing helps.
>
> Did you do an emerge -uaDNtv world after you put -nis in make.conf, to
> recompile anything with the USE flag previously active?
>
> >From looking at the ebuild, it looks like this is due to php-4
> inheriting the php-4_4.sapi eclass; contained in the eclass is this line:
>
>       # Recode is not liked
>       confutils_use_conflict "recode" "mysql" "imap" "nis"
>
> Now, I don't know what this means, but it clearly is intended in some way.
>
> I also would suspect that the nis flag is not related to PHP itself, but
> one of its dependencies, which was compiled previously with this flag
> set, which has now become 'illegal' (that happened to me the other day
> with another package, the dependency had to be recompiled without a
> particular flag set for the upgrade of the main package to install).
>
> Here's the list of packages that have this flag:
>
>  equery hasuse -p nis
> [ Searching for USE flag nis in all categories among: ]
>  * installed packages
>  * Portage tree (/usr/portage)
> [I--] [  ] x11-libs/qt-4.1.0-r2 (4)
> [-P-] [ ~] x11-libs/qt-4.1.0-r1 (4)
> [-P-] [  ] net-mail/lbdb-0.30 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] net-mail/lbdb-0.31 (0)
> [-P-] [  ] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.5 (0)
> [-P-] [M~] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.4 (0)
> [-P-] [M~] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.7 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.8 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] x11-libs/qt-embedded-3.3.4-r1 (3)
> [-P-] [  ] sys-libs/pam-0.78-r2 (0)
> [-P-] [  ] sys-libs/pam-0.78-r3 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] sys-libs/pam-0.78-r4 (0)
> [-P-] [M~] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.8-r1 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] www-servers/thttpd-2.25b-r3 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] www-servers/thttpd-2.25b-r2 (0)
> [-P-] [M~] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.7-r1 (0)
> [-P-] [M~] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.5-r1 (0)
> [-P-] [M-] x11-libs/qt-4.1.0 (4)
> [-P-] [  ] mail-mta/exim-4.43-r2 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] mail-mta/exim-4.60 (0)
> [-P-] [M~] mail-mta/exim-4.50-r999 (0)
> [-P-] [  ] mail-mta/exim-4.54 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] mail-mta/exim-4.52 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] mail-mta/exim-4.50 (0)
> [-P-] [ ~] x11-libs/qt-4.0.1 (4)
> [-P-] [M~] x11-libs/qt-embedded-3.3.5 (3)
> [-P-] [  ] x11-libs/qt-embedded-3.3.4 (3)
> [-P-] [ ~] mail-mta/exim-4.50-r2 (0)
> [-P-] [  ] mail-mta/exim-4.50-r1 (0)
>
> I don't have anything to do with PHP myself, but if one of these is
> [...]

-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
        Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.