I dug up some docs and found the format is

Tape label Fileset label First backupset Filesetlabel second backup set

where each section/filemark begins a tar archive.  Tape label is a file in Tar
format that allows the program to identify the tape.  Data following tape
label are fileset/backup pairs that contain the data archived from a backup.

If I cat or less the archive file created by the dd you suggested I get some
test info about the fileset in ascii (see below).  If I less the archive I
get this info plus what looks like binary data.  However, a tar -tvf of the
tape or archive file from dd just gives me the /tmp/tapexx_lbl.

The block size is 240 for the backup program and the tape is set to a
blocksize of 0 for the SCSI tape.  mt show this.

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=34, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x28 (Exabyte Mammoth-2).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (81010000):
 EOF ONLINE IM_REP_EN

This was designed to be retrieved by standard tar utilties but I guess I'm not
using tar right <G>.

You mentioned changing the dd block size - any suggestions?

/tmp/fs_95.lbl01006600000000000000000000003712101477727110007015
[Fileset Label]
  FS_BACKUP_TYPE=4
  FS_START_DIR=/
  FS_X_COMMAND=-fcbFVSa Library1 240 /usr/bp/lists.dir/sub95.inc
-zSTATION=gandalf -zWHERE=/ -zVERIFY=2
  FS_BLOCKSIZE=240
  FS_NODE_NAME=gandalf