Iain Buchanan wrote:
On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 21:59 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 17:26 -0800, Ryan Tandy wrote:

Also under File Systems, you can change the default code page and IO charset for vfat filesystems, which should remove the warning.
any suggestions for these last two?  I don't really have much of an
idea...
Depends on your location and what NLS you normally use. I'm in North America, so I use the ISO 8859-1 charset and code page 437, both for Western European language support. If you don't intend to use your computer in any language other than English, those are probably fine.

I left them as is, and compiled nsl_utf8 as a module (so I don't have to
restart).  When I load the module and plug in the
drive, /var/log/messages now shows:

Feb  7 22:07:18 orpheus FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for
FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

but the drive still mounts...
This is a warning, not an error. You can use Unicode on vfat filesystems, but it's not recommended as vfat is not usually used in a case sensitive context.