> you need to rename /etc/mysql to something like /etc/mysql-999 or delete if
> you are going to unmerge 5.0.18
> then use eselect mysql  to set your desired version
> check my.cnf is it to your likings and /etc/conf.d/mysql points to correct
> version at mycnf=
> start server
>
> few weeks ago here was email about sloted mysql explaining all

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.  I am following the guide given by
Gentoo.  I am having trouble and am looking for help.  At the point in
the guide where it states.

Important: If you are upgrading between version revisions (ie.
dev-db/mysql-5.0.18 to dev-db/mysql-5.0.18-r30), you can simply stop
the database, move from one data directry to the other, and restart
the server. This allows you to skip this section entirely.

I am not sure what to do, the guide does not state how to do this, and
am looking for help.  I cannot move on to the point of deleting
databases or unmerging things or setting eselect mysql until I get
past the point I am having trouble.

Hopefully I made myself clear enough now.

Kirby