On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 09:53 +0000, Rohit Sharma wrote:
> Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> >You can't just "mount the puppy" either (and let mount do the work)
> >

> Are you sure?
> While using Gentoo's  installation disks, I have successfully mounted
> the disk partitions without caring to tell the installation linuxrc as
> to what formatting was provided.

are _you_ sure? (that you also specified -o ?)

as I said, you _can_ use "mount /what /where", but you can't say
"mount -o opts /what /where", you have to say
"mount -t type -o opts /what /where"...

and if you don't know -t type, (and if you are a script) then what?  Use
disktype!!

> it mounted reiserfs, vfat and xfs every time.
> that may be one workaround. Boot your comp with installation disk, let
> the media detect what you have on your comp,  do a file on it or mount
> it. xfs, ext2/3 and reiserfs tell you at the time of mounting if they
> are there.

not very efficient...

--
Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>

To be or not to be, that is the bottom line.