Thank you all for the responses!  It's taken me sometime to check my
mail and they've piled up.  :)

Two quick Q's:

Current partitions 1, 13, 14, 15 and 16 are NTFS.  As I understand it
LVM is a software solution that works happily with Linux.  What happens
when my other half tries to boot into WinXP?  Are we going to have a
major domestic because I hosed *her* computer?

I believe Alexander mentioned it, but the reason I have placed
directories like /usr/portage into different partitions is to minimise
data fragmentation.  How does this work in an LVM set up?
--
Regards,
Mick