Nick Smith wrote:
actually the SMP "is" working, as in top shows 2 CPU's.  but when i do
an emerge --sync CPU1 stays pegged at 99% and CPU0 stays below 1% the
entire time. this is a dual 200mhz U2 Sparc system, i was just
wondering if this was normal or is there something messed up in my
config?

and sorry for posting this in the normal user list, i figured i would
get more responses here as i dont think this is specific to Sparc
hardware, but i could be wrong.

Checked it out on one of my dual servers. There is never more than a single process running, emerge, then rsync, then emerge, so the second CPU never gets used. However I did see the second CPU doing some kjournald while data was being written to the filessytem so it's not a total loss on a dual CPU system. :)

kashani