On Tuesday 14 February 2006 15:47, b.n. wrote:
> However I did it now and I noticed the USE flag "kdexdeltas", which
> description on gentoo-portage.com is:
>
> "kdexdeltas -  Makes kde ebuilds download binary diffs rather than
> entire new tarballs for every new release"
>
> how is it supposed to work?! does it work for every kind of C flag?
This will download binary source diffs against a previous release.  So if you
have the kdelibs-3.4 tar ball it will just get the delta tar ball that will
contain the binary diff from kdelibs-3.4->kdelibs-3.5  CFLAGS are irrelevant
here.  It can save you a lot of bandwidth if the delta exists.

> > I think it is important to note that KDE 3.5 has been released as
> > stable by KDE for some time.  It is only the ebuilds that are still
> > marked as testing.
>
> Yes, I know. But I'm easily scared :P
Well kde 3.5.1 is probably one of the most solid releases in a while.  3.5 had
some issues, but so far 3.5.1 seems almost as mature as 3.4.4 was. YMMV.
--
Zac Slade