On 2/15/06, Mike Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 February 2006 11:23, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On this machine the file system reports it's 100% full even after
> > I've removed 500MB of stuff. What can I do to clean this up?
>
> Remove more.
>
> I suspect that's an ext{2,3} filesystem, which has, by default, 5% set aside
> for use only by the superuser. You've gone into that 5%, and 500MB isn't
> enough to get you out, hence it still appears 100% full.
>
> --
> Mike Williams

OK, good info - but what can I remove? Or more important how can I
find what's talking up too much space. /home, /usr/portage and /var
are on partitions of their own. There is about 200MB of Java stuff in
/opt and I deleted everything in /tmp before I wrote the first note.

I do appear to have about 250MB of KDE stuff in /usr/kde. We don't use
KDE but there are some KDE type apps, like k3b, on this machine.

I have about 1.1GB in /usr/lib but I wouldn't know how to touch that by hand.

/usr/share has about 850MB in it. Again, I wouldn't know how to touch
that by hand.

I appear to have kdebase, kdelibs, kdebase-pam and kde-env installed.
Which of those could come out without causing major problems for a
non-KDE user? (I did install KDE about a month ago, just to try it
out, but we don't use it. I suppose I could remove them all and then
go through a revdep-rebuild process...

The issue here is that this machine is both my wife's desktop machine
as well as our MythTV backend server. There is no video on the
machine. It's kept elsewhere on an NFS mount, but MythTV has stopped
working and the best guess the Myth folks had so far was lack of disk
space. When I first looked the machine was very full, but now with the
current clear space it's still having troubles.

Thanks,
Mark