On 16 February 2006 09:56, Robert Persson wrote:
> My (parallel port laser) printer started spewing garbage (i.e. pcl data as
> text - a few characters per sheet) as a result, I think, of a loose cable.
>
> Trouble is I can't stop it. I cleared the print jobs. Even stopped cups.
> Tried to rmmod parport_pc and lp, but was refused. Tried pressing the stop
> and reset buttons on the printer many times. Nothing doing. The only thing
> that stops the flow is disconnecting the parallel cable.

One of the very few shortcomings of cups is that it is very hard to delete an
active print job. :-(

> I'm about to reboot, hoping that that will do the trick. But surely there's
> a way to stop the diarrhoea without rebooting, isn't there?

Don't, it won't help. Do a "ps ax | less" and try to find everything remotely
related to printing and converting. Kill all those processes - there will be
several.

Uwe

--
Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?