On Thursday 16 February 2006 17:18, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

> >> No, he doesn't. Where does he waste space?
> >
> > because you shall not fill up any partition more than 85% or
> > fragmentation will go up insanly and performance go down to the bottom.
>
> Yes, but we're no longer in the age, where 10GB hard
> drives are high end. I do agree, that you might waste
> a little bit of space. But that's it. And that's only
> a theoretical value. Nothing to worry about in real
> life.

> >> Not really.
> >
> > yes, really.
>
> jaja.

> > Why should he make /tmp noexec,
>
> Security precaution.
if you have 10+ users with access to the box. But a workstation, without even
sshd running, it is not needed.

And hey, why should /tmp noexec save you from anything?
If someone is  able to break into your box, he can build his tools in /home
or /var/tmp or somewhere else. No need for /tmp.

> >> And it's impossible to have some flexibility.
> >
> > no, it is absolutly flexible
>
> Ah. Please explain how you mount /tmp noexec and /usr
> readonly.

I don't because it is wasted effort.
If someone has the right to write to a rw /usr/ partition, he has the rights
to remount a ro /usr as rw and can go on.. It just makes maintance harder.

> Please also explain, how you seperate data areas (like
> /var and /usr).

I have /var and /usr?
Why shuld I seperate them any further?

> >> And it's still good today.
> >
> > no it is not
>
> I see. Strange thing is, that about every server and workstation
> I've seen more or less contradicts what you say.

if you have 20+ users on each of them, and every single one is a little
cracker in disguisse, it may make sense, but for a single user box?
No.

> >> No, it's absolutely not.
> >
> > yes it is. It wastes space,
>
> Not really. Some. But not really.

15% of the space on each partition. That sums up.

> > makes boot much longer.
>
> No, it doesn't. Not noticeably, at least.

oh really? Have a look at the forums 'my *fs takes this and that long to
mount'

If every partition takes a second, it will be very noticable.

> > More partitions = more
> > haead movement = higher risk of damage. More partitions = more risk that
> > one of the partitions dies = more risk of fatal data loss.
>
> There's always backup.
>
> > More partitions = less space available
>
> Not really. Some. But not really.
>
> If you're *SO* low on hard disk space, I'd advice to buy
> more harddisks.

more harddisks = higher chance that one of them dies.

I had 4 simultaniously running harddisk once. I went down to one big one.
Because every couple of month one disk died.

It is simple math. The more disks, the higher the risk.

> Actually, as *you* see, there aren't many reasons and no good
> reasons to do what you say.

I haven't seen any good reason for a bazillion small partitions, that only
increase your work and have to be monitored constantly (f* /var is full,
f* /tmp is full f* I have to remount /usr).