gentuxx wrote:

> Mick wrote:
>

>>I'm no portage guru, but this is what I would do on my system:
>>
>>1. Check what you have in your RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM and package.keywords.
>
> Looks like this was it.  I had it in the /etc/portage/rsync_excludes
> file.  Not really sure why.  Guess I'll find out when something breaks
> after I boot to the new kernel.  ;-)

I know why:  to stop using loads of bandwidth and disk space to download and
save the latest kernel sources, when you may not yet want to compile a new
kernel?  ;-)

>>2. Run regenworld.
>
> What does this do?

I have found that sometimes I emerge a package and for whatever reason it is
not added in my portage file.  Running /usr/sbin/regenworld scans (I think)
emerge.log and adds any missed packages into world.  In its own
(developer's) words:

"This script regenerates the portage world file by checking the portage
logfile for all actions that you've done in the past. It ignores any
arguments except --help. It is recommended that you make a backup of your
existing world file (%s) before using this tool."

If sys-kernel/gentoo-sources was absent it should be spotted and added to
it.

--
Regards,
Mick