On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 23:32 -0500, Grant wrote:
> I've been struggling to get my wireless card to connect to the WEP
> Airport router at my housing complex.  It turns out it connects just
> fine using a Knoppix disc and manual ifconfig/iwconfig commands, but
> the same commands don't work in Gentoo.  My Gentoo packages are
> totally up to date.  I'm using madwifi.  Any suggestions?
>
> - Grant

Hi Grant,

Firstly have you got wireless extensions enabled in the kernel?
-CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS=y
I believe that is a requirement.

Is the madwifi-driver installed and the module loaded?
-modprobe ath_pci

If it can't find the module emerge the madwifi-driver package
-emerge madwifi-driver
or alternatively try the madwifi-ng code at http://madwifi.org
Both methods should give you a "ath0" interface.

Are you getting any error messages?, when you run "iwconfig" does it
show wireless related settings on the relevant interface?

Hope this helps.
Let us know,

Rob