Your xorg.conf file looks fine, but you don't have anything lower than 1024x768 specified in your configuration as indicated below.  You may have to recreate a new xorg.conf file with the correct monitor and driver settings.  I did mine manually a long long time ago, but I think you can use xorgconfig to detect most of your settings for you...if so...hopefully that will fix you up.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "video"
    Monitor     "2"