http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6#doc_cha
>> p1
>> I get the following error:
>>
>> livecd gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo bin/bash
>> chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec format error
> I've seen that when chrooting into 64-bit environment from a 32-bit
> kernel.
> You cannot boot from the x86 minimal and use an amd64 stage file.  You
> need the amd64 boot cd.
>>
>> I did use LVM2 for partitioning but other than that I have followed the
>> handbook very throughly. I hope someone has a solution.  Please feel free
>> to ask for any information that may be helpful.

At the same time when you run a command you need to type the path to it
correctly.  In this case the path is preceded by /, as in:
/bin/bash

You really need to double check commands before you hit return as it is easy
to miss a character and the whole sequence goes to pot.
--
Regards,
Mick