On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Richard Fish wrote:
On 2/22/06, Lance Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
However, I already have

    USE="-X -gtk -gnome -qt -kde -alsa -xpm -opengl userprofiles ..."

in make.conf, so somehow this is ignoring that "-xpm".  Even adding

    www-apps/wordpress -xpm

in /etc/portage/package.use doesn't prevent the original emerge command
from trying to pull in xterm and X11.  What am I missing now?

It is not wordpress that has the xpm USE flag, but dev-lang/php.  So
that should be "dev-lang/php -xpm".  Also, make sure that only a
single entry for the package appears in package.use.

For the make.conf case, well, it should work.  Maybe check the output
of "emerge -DNuvp world", and if that doesn't help, post the output of
emerge --info.

Bingo -- the "dev-lang/php -xpm" entry solved the problem.  And, as
another poster suggested, I apparently did not have -xpm in place at the
time that php was built, as --newuse now wants to rebuild it due to the
change in that flag.

Is there some tool that I should be using, or some additional emerge
flag, that would help diagnose a problem like this?  I tried masking the
packages that were being brought in, to see if that would tell me which
package had the dependency that was bringing in the extra stuff, but
nothing ever pointed me at php -- virtual/x11-6.8 is as far as it would
ever go.  I appreciate the help and would like learn from this, and
avoid bugging the list if something like this comes up again.

Regards,
Lance