On Thursday 23 February 2006 14:38, "Nick Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Missing Keyword':
> > Use /etc/portage/package.keywords (with an actual keyword, instead of
> > the default ~ARCH) or your local overlay.
>
> what is the actual keyword if it doesnt have one? just add it to my
> package.keywords file and add the arch to it? i dont see how that
> would work.

Sorry, my explanation was a bit terse.

Masked due to "missing keyword" means that none of the keywords in
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS match with any of the keywords in the ebuilds KEYWORDS.

So, an ebuild that has KEYWORDS="x86 ~hppa ~sparc" will match any x86
profile but only testing hppa or sparc machines.  Attempt to install it on
an amd64 machine results in a "missing keyword".  You would have to view
the individual ebuild to determine what KEYWORDS it has.

/etc/portage/package.keywords is a way to add to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on a
per-package basis.  /Most of the time/, it is used to install testing
versions; if you don't supply a keyword after the package atom portage
assumes you meant ~${ARCH}.  However, it can be used to accept other
keywords, you just have to put them there.  amd64 users will probably find
this most useful since it is more likely that something that works on x86
also works on amd64 than it is that something that works on hppa works on
sparc -- that is there are keywords other than ~${ARCH} that may be of
real use.

For the crazier amd64 users out there, yes this does mean you could have
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64 x86" or even "~amd64 x86 ~x86" in your make.conf,
but I don't recommend it.  (The transition from 32-bit to 64-bit is not
easy for all programs.)

Also, I seem to remember that package.keywords didn't always default to
~${ARCH}.  Am I mis-remembering that?  Do any developers here know for
sure?

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]