Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
Anyway, part of the point of using a distribution is that it spares you
from having to know what's best for you.

That's a little harsh, Ciaran. I did the linux from scratch thing. Had a lot of fun with it. Enjoyed being down in the bowels of the linux system and the total control over what was installed. I knew what was best for me, I knew what my requirements were and built the box to satisfy those requirements.

Then after a few weeks of tracking freshmeat daily to see what updates I needed to download and apply manually, I stumbled upon gentoo and have been a happy gentoo'er since. I never lost sight of what was best for me, what my requirements were. I merely had to alter my processes to incorporate the automated nature that gentoo offers (what a relief that was ;-)

Your statement is probably true for all of the binary distribution folks. But I doubt that you'll get many from this crowd that would say that we want or expect the gentoo team to "know what's best for [us]."