If you've enabled server-status handler
this might give you an idea of what apache threads are doing
when it's eating up your resources.
HTH,
Sasha

That's just what buggers me the most. NO. If only I did I would know how to get
back.

It's happening for some time now. Only since yesterday evening it's persistent.
When it first came to my attention I was thinking at a cron job that triggered
something, or a visitor. Even without any cron jobs running it's happening. And
it is not visitor related. At least not as far as I can figure out true there
IP-numbers and so on. I was thinking this because I had the impression that it
happened on a regular basis, every two weeks or so. When I then stopped Apache
for a few seconds and restarted Apache again everything was back to normal.

I now have been uninstalling everything that I could miss for a while, even
stopped Apache for several hours. No result. The only thing that happens is a
very slow server.

Did you change something in the apache configuration or anything else?

Just a question. Has anyone experienced the fact that Apache is eating up
all the server resources and filling all swap space?  Where do I find the
reason why? Or in what log-file do I look for what reason?  The server runs
a Drupal based site if that should matter. Only after restarting Apache it
directly goes true the roof. As well as I am at the moment.

To be honest, it runs on Debian. I know, I know, if only I had the nerves
to install Gentoo on it from a distance. Then I would be as happy as my
home system running day after day without stopping, thanks to Gentoo. Only
I don't want to surprise the hosting company and tell them to please fix my
ssh connection. At least not for now ;-)

Thanks in advance, why aren't all systems like Gentoo. It could also be
possible that it's me being to stupid :-)

Cheers,
William.