Hi Folks,

Very new to Gentoo, although not to Linux. I'm trying it out in QEMU,
and have just completed the installation. Only problem is I can't seem
to connect to the internet. QEMU is basically meant to provide an
emulated network card to the OS it's hosting. Works fine for the install
CD. Anyway, seeing as I was very new to the whole thing, I went with the
genkernel option. As I say, everything seems to boot fine, except that I
get this message:

Starting eth0
  Bringing up eth0
    dhcp
      eth0 does not exist
ERROR: problem starting needed services.
        "netmount" was not started

I've tried /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start and /etc/init.d/netmount start and
they both complain that eth0 doesn't exist. But if I do lspci I see my
emulated network card right there:

00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8029(AS)

Can anyone help out? Am I just missing a kernel module?

Tom Haddon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.