On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:19:58PM -0500, Penguin Lover Willie Wong squawked:
> [12:12 PM]wwong ~ $ fetchmail
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer
> certificate
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not trusted
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to verify the first
> certificate
>
>        --sslcertpath <directory>
>               (Keyword: sslcertpath) Sets the directory fetchmail uses to look
>               up  local certificates. The default is your OpenSSL default one.
>               The directory must be hashed as OpenSSL expects it - every  time
>               you  add  or  modify a certificate in the directory, you need to
>               use the c_rehash tool (which comes with OpenSSL  in  the  tools/
>               subdirectory).
>
> so I guess my question is how to import a certificate into OpenSSL?

Nevermind, solved.

First, download the certificate [say, "university.crt"]
Second, [the step I was missing, from 'man x509'],
  openssl x509 -in university.crt -addtrust emailProtection -out uni.pem
Third, put the file uni.pem into a directory, say ~/.my_trusted_certs
Fourth, run
  c_rehash ~/.my_trusted_certs
Fifth, edit the .fetchmailrc to append 'sslcertpath "$HOME/.my_trusted_certs"'
to the university's line.

Now it works without the error.

"All of this is on the web, so other people know it too."
~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 110 days, 10:35