Erik Westenbroek wrote on 03/07/06 04:18:
> I am attempting create a tarpit to protect against SSH Brute force
> attempts.  I tried this:
 --snip--
> iptables -A SSH_Brute_Force -p tcp -j TARPIT
> After I type the last command typed I got this error message:
> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

> What am I doing wrong?

Hi Erik

The standard Gentoo-sources kernel does not include the TARPIT target.
You need to pick up an updated kernel iptables source from
netfilter.org, and install it as follows:

I assume you have a subversion client already installed on your machine.

  cd /usr/src

Pick up patch-o-matic-ng:

  svn co https://svn.netfilter.org/netfilter/trunk/patch-o-matic-ng

Pick up iptables source code:

  svn co https://svn.netfilter.org/netfilter/trunk/iptables

Install kernel patches to iptables extra code

  cd patch-o-matic-ng
  ./runme extra

Here you can select the targets/filters (e.g TARPIT) you want patching
into the kernel iptables modules.

After installing patches you must regenerate your kernel and modules to
activate the patches, and then re-emerge iptables to pick up the kernel
patches.

make menuconfig
make && make modules_install && make install

Make sure that you have USE="extensions" in your /etc/make.conf before
you emerge iptables, or it will ignore the new non-standard extensions.

 emerge iptables

This worked for me.

Cheers, Dave