Daniel da Veiga schreef:

> The livecd uses the VESA drivers, that should support most if not all
>  cards

Yes, I'm sure that's true-- but what I'm wondering is, does the LiveCD
use the VESA drivers *no matter what* is returned by autodectection of
the video hardware?

My question here is because I have installed a lot of distros, and the
thing is that as soon as autodetection got an ATI product ID back from
the video hardware, I automatically got the radeon drivers. And for me,
the radeon drivers are bad news. So I would always have to manually
specify vesa anyway (after X broke).

I would actually suspect that the same thing happens to nVidia users
under most circumstances (they load the nv driver rather than vesa), but
of course the nVidia open-source drivers actually work properly, so this
is likely not a problem for them.

So I'm originally asking if the card might be subject to this condition
(since I have experienced signal loss errors due to misconfiguration of
an ATI card, which misconfiguration is in some cases due to hardware
autodetection mishandling the card when found).

> so, what you are getting is probably a VSync problem, Xorg tries to
> probe the monitor for supported resolutions and H/VSyncs, what
> happened must be that it is using a Vsync not supported by your
> monitor.

That certainly would explain things, but how broken would autodetection
then be (or the monitor's EDID?? support) if it couldn't even
detect/report its own Vsync range?

Not that you might not be right, but that's really scary-- scarier than
my theory of autodetect working properly, but mishandling what it detects.

Holly