On Mar 8, 2006, at 9:54 AM, A. Khattri wrote:

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, John Jolet wrote:

I've had NO ssh portscans on my boxes since I moved them off of port
22.  for security's sake, i won't tell you where I moved them to :)

I dont think moving ssh from port 22 will stop portscans but it will stop
brute force attacks directly on port 22.

Perhaps I was unclear. I haven't seen the large numbers of attempted logins with obvious dictionary lists of usernames on ssh since I moved it.

I'll have to look into denyhosts...what does it do? I can't predict where I might be coming from, as I'm frequently at client locations and travelling.

I prefer to just run denyhosts on my servers instead:

# eix denyhosts
* app-admin/denyhosts
     Available versions:  1.1.2 1.1.2-r1 2.1
     Installed:           2.1