On 3/9/06, TN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm attempting to install Gentoo with the GUI livecd 2006 utility, and
> I'm installing it on a laptop which was dual booting happily with debian
> & winxp.
>
> I wiped the debian installation, and carefully made sure that Gentoo
> wasn't going to wipe out the winxp partition which is the first. I made
> /dev/hda2 one partition for gentoo, and it's JFS.
>
> The installation process finished without errors, but when I reboot the
> machine I have 2 problems:
>
> (i) the grub installation doesn't show the winxp entry (easy enough
> fixed, but still an installation bug)
>
> (ii) gentoo starts booting, but fails when trying to mount the root device.
>  >> Determining root device...
>  >> Mounting root...
> mount : Mounting /dev/hda2 on /newroot failed: Invalid argument
> !! Could not mount specified ROOT, try again
> !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
>

> The grub boot lines are:
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0
> init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda2
> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5
>
> This was how the installer set it up, so what needs to change to fix it ?
>
> thanks!

>From the gentoo handbook located here
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

Note: If your root filesystem is JFS, you must add " ro" to the kernel
line since JFS needs to replay its log before it allows read-write
mounting.

I don't use JFS so I dobn't know exactly how to do it but this is what
I got from searching google.

Kirby