On 3/10/06, Sergio Polini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark Knecht:
> > Well...I did my best, but it wasn't good enough. The machine no
> > longer boots to any level that a user could use. I'm told there are
> > lots of messages on the screen about being unable to find files.
> > (/usr/bin, /usr/sbin sort of things...)
>
> That happened to me too ;-)
> But the reason was quickly clear: I had deleted /usr instead
> of /usr/*!
> Remember:

OK, so far I cannot get into the machine so I don't know how to double
check that but I'm pretty sure I didn't do this.

The issue in and around these instructions, for me was that:

1) I'm in a completely out of disk space situation
2) I'm trying to move /usr
3) /usr includes /usr/bin and /usr/sbin which is where all commands
are to basically use the machine and make the changes. (mv, cp, ls and
all the normal stuff.)

so I

1) Copied everything to the new partition
2) Removed everything from the original /usr except /usr/bin and
/usr/lib. The only copy of /usr/sbin is on the new partition. /usr/lib
had to remain for me to use vim to edit fstab.
3) The new partition was labeled using e2label
4) fstab was edited to mount the new partition at the existing /usr
direcotry which still contained /usr/bin and /usr/lib
5) As a backup, since I had removed most of /usr to create space I now
made a new directory /usrBACKUP and placed a copy of what was left in
/usr there so I could get to it if I needed to.
6) Unmounted /mnt/usr_temp and rebooted.

The messages (I'm told over the phone by a 78 year old man who is hard
of hearing) are in and around not being able to find /usr/sbin. I
don't know what they really say as we didn't try to get that detailed.

He has decided to ship the machine to me via FedEx and I'll have to
fix it here when it arrives. He didn't want to mess with Knoppix or
the Gentoo install disk as he felt it was way beyond what he could do.

Again, thanks for the ideas below, but since the machine is 350 miles
away it's hard to do the experiements below. I'll do them when it
arrives next week.

Cheers,
Mark